Ballistic Missile Defence of India
- It was started by DRDO in 1998, in 2006 Prithvi Air Defence exercise was carried out. In that a Prithvi Missile of range 2000 km was successfully intercepted.
- Indian Ballistic Missile Defence is comprised of two stages :
- Prithvi Air Defence (PAD)
- Advanced Air Defence (AAD) respectively.
Prithvi Air Defence (PAD)
- Also referred as Pradyumna Ballistic Missile Interceptor.
- It’s designed for high altitude interception ( exo-atmospheric interception).
- PAD can intercept missiles at altitudes between 50 – 80 km.
- The interceptor is Prithvi Defence Vehicle ( PDV) which has two-stage i.e first stage the missile consists of the solid fuelled motor, and the second stage consists of a liquid fuelled motor. The movement thrusters of the missile can produce a lateral acceleration of over 5gs at a height of 50 km.
- It has a maximum range of 2000 km and the turning height of 50 to 80 km and can achieve a speed of Mach 5.
- The inertial navigation system provides the guidance. It uses LRTR for mid- course updates. It uses active radar homing in the terminal phase.
- PAD uses Swordfish Long Range Tracking Radar (LRTR) as the fire control radar and for target acquisition. It can track 200 targets at a range of 600 km.
- The improved versions of this missile defence system use gimbaled directional warheads for this purpose, the technology currently being used by countries like Israel, Russia and the US.
Advanced Air Defence
- Also called Ashwin Ballistic Missile Interceptor.
- It is an endo-atmospheric interception system ( for low altitude interception).
- Advanced Air Defence, height of interception is range up to 30 km.
- It has a single-stage solid fuelled missile.
Does India have anti-ballistic missile?
Yes, India has the Prithvi Air Defence anti ballistic missile system.
How many ballistic missiles India have?
Four operational ballistic missile systems and around 70 warheads.
Which is India best ballistic missile?
The Agni V is considered as the best ballistic missile of India as it is 3 staged solid fuelled intercontinental missile.